As a passionate DIY enthusiast, I have begun making all my beauty products, directly from my kitchen counter.
Whenever I create a product, I know I want it to be 100% zero waste and made from all-natural ingredients.
One of the products I love to make the most is zero waste lip balm. A part from obviously being completely zero waste and natural, it’s incredibly easy and quick to make.
Just follow the steps below and trust me: you would not want to buy another packaged lip balm again!
Credits: I have taken and re-adapted this recipe from the Soap Kitchen.
- 1 tbsp/10 g of beeswax or candelilla wax
Butter & Oils
- 1tbsp/13g of unrefined Shea Butter
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp/20g of avocado oil
- Your chosen flavour. I chose cherry!
- Heat up some water at medium heat using a small saucepan. Do not bring to boil, just let it simmer.
- Place the vegan candelilla wax pellets in a stainless steel bowl
- Place the bowl on the pot and slowly mix with a silicon spatula until completely blended. You will note that the beeswax is really sticky and hard to stir. It's ok, after about 10 minutes it will start melting and it will be easier to stir.
- When you notice that the beeswax is melting down, leaving only a few lumps, add the already measured shea butter and avocado oil
- Turn the heat off and blend the 3 ingredients together for one extra minute. The heated water will finish to melt everything down. Give it a good stir to make sure the ingredients are fully melted.
- Immediately pour the hot liquid into the tin. Do not let it cool down or it will become solid
- Wait for about 10 minutes. You will notice that, every couple of minutes or so, the liquid will become cloudy: the lip balm is magically becoming solid and almost ready to enjoy!
- Let the balm cool down for an extra 15-20 minutes.
- Stick some of the balm on a finger and apply it gently onto your lips.
Join Minimal – Bottega Zero Waste FREE Skincare Mini Course
Minimal is a free 4 DIY skincare projects mini course, designed to introduce you to the world of making your own products to truly reduce waste. Ready for your next adventure?